Cross-border commuter permit

For people who live abroad but want to work in Switzerland for a company based here, the cross-border commuter permit is often the right solution.

A cross-border commuter permit may be considered if a person has a Swiss employment contract but maintains his or her residence abroad. Cross-border commuters usually return to their main residence abroad daily or at least once a week. Border zones no longer apply to EU/EFTA nationals. However, the border zones continue to apply to third-country nationals. These must also have a permanent right of residence in a country neighboring Switzerland and have been resident in the border zone for at least six months; furthermore, labor market regulations must be respected.

back to local employment in Switzerland